cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Günter Ladwig <guenter.lad...@kit.edu>
Subject "Insufficient space" on 1.0.0-rc2 when compacting compressed CFs
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:08:22 GMT
Hi,

I couldn't find anything on this issue, but maybe my google-fu is weak.

I'm running a Cassandra 1.0.0-rc2 cluster with compression enabled for all of the two CFs
I have right now. The load on a single node is about 32GB (disk is 80GB per node).

Whenever I try to run a compaction using nodetool on one of the CFs, I get the message "insufficient
space to compact all requested files" in the log (it goes on to compact some SSTables, but
not all). As not even half of the disk is used, compaction should be possible, right? Or does
Cassandra use the uncompressed size to check whether there is enough space or not? I estimate
that the data is compressed by a factor of about 3x.

Cheers,
Günter

--
Dipl.-Inform. Günter Ladwig

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute AIFB

Englerstraße 11 (Building 11.40, Room 250)
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Phone: +49 721 608-47946
Email: guenter.ladwig@kit.edu
Web: www.aifb.kit.edu

KIT – University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and National Large-scale Research Center
of the Helmholtz Association