cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Does anybody know why Twitter stop integrate Cassandra as Twitter store?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:37:38 GMT
If you want to see just how much Twitter uses Cassandra watch Chris Goffinet's awesome presentation
at this years Cassandra SF meeting http://www.datastax.com/events/cassandrasf2011/presentations

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 5/10/2011, at 8:16 AM, Paul Loy wrote:

> yup, and again it gives a perfectly adequate reason: "Twitter is busy fighting other
fires and they don't have the time to retrofit something that is (more or less) working, namely
their MySQL based tweet storage, with a completely new technology based on Cassandra."

> If I was in charge of platform at twitter I'd have probably made the same call. If it
aint broke, don't spend $100ks fixing it. Push out new features that help keep you ahead of
the competition.

> I really don't see anything in the closet here. It's just a simple resource management
issue.

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM, ruslan usifov <ruslan.usifov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> 2011/10/4 Paul Loy <keteracel@gmail.com>
> Did you read the article you posted?
> Yes
>
> "We believe that this isn't the time to make large scale migration to a new technology.
We will focus our Cassandra work on new projects that we wouldn't be able to ship without
a large-scale data store.

> There was big boom in network about, that Tweeter will migrate they tweets to cassandra,
but than they reject this plans. This explanation sounds very vague. Why they have changed
the mind? I find only one article about this: