cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mick Semb Wever <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OOM on CompressionMetadata.readChunkOffsets(..)
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:05:49 GMT
On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 09:07 +0100, Mick Semb Wever wrote:
> The read pattern of these rows is always in bulk so the chunk_length
> could have been much higher so to reduce memory usage (my largest
> sstable is 61G).

Isn't CompressionMetadata.readChunkOffsets(..) rather dangerous here?

Given a 60G sstable, even with 64kb chunk_length, to read just that one
sstable requires close to 8G free heap memory...

Especially when the default for cassandra is 4G heap in total.

~mck

--
"Anyone who has attended a computer conference in a fancy hotel can tell
you that a sentence like "You're one of those computer people, aren't

| http://semb.wever.org | http://sesat.no |
| http://tech.finn.no   | Java XSS Filter |