cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Yi Yang">
Subject Re: Cassandra JVM heap size
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 03:02:49 GMT
Someone has just talked about the heap size in this mail list, says that bigger heap size will
result into a longer GC phase, that could probably be one of the reason not using larger heap

But I have really heard of some others using Cassandra with some 60 gigabytes of heap size.

從我的 BlackBerry® 無線裝置

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramesh Natarajan <>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:47:08
To: <>
Subject: Cassandra JVM heap size

I was reading an article @ it mentions
cassandra cannot benefit from more than 8GB allocated to JVM
heap.  Is this true?  Are these cassandra installations with larger heap
sizes? We are planning to have a cluster of 6 nodes with each node running
with about 100 GB or so RAM. Will this be a problem?

Memory Ceiling

Cassandra typically cannot benefit from more than 8GB of RAM allocated to
the Java heap, imposing a hard limit on data size. Taking advantage of big
servers with lots of memory or many disks is no problem for Acunu. Thereʼs
no memory ceiling for Acunu and as a result, no data ceiling either. Need to
use larger servers? Go ahead.

View raw message