cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: need help setting up production environment
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:44:05 GMT
Okay - I just really wanted to point out Matt's presentation as food for thought.  We've had
some painful experiences we've learned a lot from and wished we had some of those tips when
we were starting out.

On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:19 PM, Ben Ashton wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I dont remember setting up snitch.
>
> The servers are all in a VPC, the only thing I did was configure the seed IP so all the
nodes can see each other.

> Ben
>
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would look at http://www.slideshare.net/mattdennis/cassandra-on-ec2
>
> Also, people generally do raid0 on the ephemerals.
>
> EBS is a bad fit for cassandra - see the presentation above.  However, that means you'll
need to have a backup strategy, which is also mentioned in the presentation.

> Also are you using the ec2snitch or the property file snitch?
>
> On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Ben Ashton wrote:
>
> > I've been dropped in it a little and had to build a prod setup going live on monday.
> >
> > At the moment I have setup three server in EC2 US, one each AZ
> >
> > the servers are setup as follows:-
> >
> > m1.xlarge using the Amazons AMI instance storage image, the ephemerals 4 x 420 GB
setup in raid10 and formatted with xfs mounted as /cassandra with all the cassandra data in
/cassandra

> > I've got the ring setup with 33% on each server.
> >
> > I imagine I'd need to setup some EBS cassandra servers and insert them in the ring,
so I have a persistence, would m.large be OK for this?

> > I've been reading http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ and http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/index
but can anyone recommend a book I can buy this weekend or another web source for best practice?