cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Naryshkin" <konstant...@a-bb.net>
Subject Re: Customized Secondary Index Schema
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:24:38 GMT
Why are you keeping all your indexes in the same row? We do a similar thing (maintain several
indexes over the same data) and we just have an index column family with keys like "dest192.168.0.1"
which means destination index of 192.168.0.1. You can do rows like User_Keys_By_Last_Name_adams
and User_Keys_By_Last_Name_alden. You can keep the matching main column family key as the
column name. This will ensure that your index is evenly distributed throughout your cluster.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Anuff" <ed@anuff.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:48:49 PM
Subject: Re: Customized Secondary Index Schema

How many unique last names do you anticipate having? How many characters in the last name
do you anticipate keeping in your index? You can easily do the math to figure out how many
you could fit on a node. I think you'll find that the ceiling might be quite a bit higher
than you think. If you have over a couple of hundred million users it might not be the best
approach. There are a lot of very simple ways to split it up over multiple rows. As is the
case with most things regarding Cassandra, the off-the-cuff assumptions only get you so far
before you have to do some math and do some tests.

As I mentioned in my talk, for simple uses cases like this, you probably should just start
with the built in secondary indexes, but I assume you already have explored those.

Ed