cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tyler Hobbs <>
Subject Re: Updates lost
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:14:19 GMT
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Peter Schuller <
> wrote:

> > If the client sleeps for a few ms at each loop, the success rate
> > increases. At 15 ms, the script always succeeds so far. Interestingly,
> > the problem seems to be sensitive to alphabetical order. Updating the
> > value from 'aaa' to 'bbb' never has problem. No pause needed.
> Is it possible the version of pycassa you're using does not guarantee
> that successive queries use non-identical and monotonically increasing
> timestamps?

By default, pycassa uses microsecond-precision timestamps.
ColumnFamily.insert() returns the timestamp used for the insert, so you
could always check that it was different.  However, I doubt that you're
getting more than one insert per microsecond, unless you have VM issues with
the system clock.

Tyler Hobbs
Software Engineer, DataStax <>
Maintainer of the pycassa <> Cassandra