cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jason Baker <ja...@apture.com>
Subject Re: Tuning a column family for archival
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:59:20 GMT
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>wrote:

> In many regards Cassandra automatically does the correct thing. Other then
> the costs of the bloom filters for the table size being in ram, if you never
> read or write to those sstables and you are not reusing the row key, the OS
> will page out those tables and they will not take any cache space.

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but the wiki says that an instance shouldn't
be swapping at all[1].  I presently have swappiness turned down to 0.  Are
you saying that there may be benefits to allowing some swap usage?

[1]
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableThresholds?highlight=%28swap%29#Virtual_Memory_and_Swap