cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: "Internal error processing get" during bootstrap
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 01:23:26 GMT
The wiki has info on setting up a cluster, see http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations
and http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/GettingStarted

If get errors check the server side logs (/var/log/cassandra), also make sure that you are
getting the exception raised by thrift. e.g. TInvalidRequestException or some such. TException
sounds like a base. 

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 1 Aug 2011, at 12:40, Rafael Almeida wrote:

> I'm going to tell you guys the answers I could find so far.
> 
> On Tuesday, July 26, 2011, Rafael Almeida <almeidaraf@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I couldn't find much documentation regarding how to make a cluster, but it 
>> seemed simple enough. At cassandra server A (10.0.0.2) I had seeds: 
>> "locahost". At server B (10.0.0.3) I configured seeds: 
>> "10.0.0.2" and auto_bootstrap: true. Then I created a keyspace and a 
>> few column families in it.
>> 
>> I imediately began to add items and to get all these "Internal error 
>> processing get". I found it quite odd, I thought it had to do with the load 
>> I was putting in, seeing that a few small tests had worked before. I spent quite

>> some time debugging, when I finally decided to write this e-mail. I wanted to 
>> double check stuff, so I ran nodetool to see if everything was right. To my 
>> surprise, there was only one of the node available. It took a little while for 
>> the other one to show up as Joining and then as Normal.
>> 
>> After I waited that period, I was able to insert items to the cluster with no 
>> error at all. Is that expected behaviour? What is the recommended way to setup a

>> cluster? Should it be done manually. Setting up the machines, creating all 
>> keyspaces and colum families then checking nodetool and waiting for it to get 
>> stable?
> 
> 
> The problem that I was having was mainly because I had set node A as seed of B
> and B as seed of A. I don't know what possessed me! Regarding the schema
> configuration. I made a schema file and I load it using:
> 
>     cassandra-cli -h localhost --batch < schema-file
> 
> It works alright.
>  
>> On a side note, sometimes I get "Default TException" (that seems to 
>> happen when the machine is in a heavier load than usual), commonly retrying the 
>> read or insert right after works fine.  Is that what's supposed to happen? 
>> Perhaps I should raise some timeout somewhere?
> 
> 
> I still don't get why that error was so frequent. At first I was testing it on 
> workstations, where people would compile stuff and run all sorts of software. I think
> that slowed down things considerable and the system was having a hard time 
> managing connections from the application. After I moved it to dedicated computers
> those problems ceased to happen.
> 
>> This is what ./bin/nodetool -h localhost ring reports me:
>> 
>> Address         DC          Rack        Status State   Load            Owns    
>> Token                                       
>>                                                                                
>> 119105113551249187083945476614048008053     
>> 10.0.0.3     datacenter1 rack1       Up     Normal  3.43 GB         65.90%  
>> 61078635599166706937511052402724559481      
>> 10.0.0.2    datacenter1 rack1       Up     Normal  1.77 GB         34.10%  
>> 119105113551249187083945476614048008053
>> 
>> It's still adding stuff. I have no idea why B owns so many more keys than A.
> 
> 
> It happened due to my weird double-seed configuration. Now everything is fine. I've
> explained how tokens work on a different thread.
> 
> Cheers,
> Rafael
> 


Mime
View raw message