cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Completely removing a node from the cluster
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:26:58 GMT
I'm running low on ideas for this one. Anyone else ?

If the phantom node is not listed in the ring, other nodes should not be storing hints for
it. You can see what nodes they are storing hints for via JConsole.

You can try a rolling restart passing the JVM opt -Dcassandra.load_ring_state=false However
if the phantom node is been passed around in the gossip state it will probably just come back
again.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/08/2011, at 3:49 PM, Bryce Godfrey wrote:

> Could this ghost node be causing my hints column family to grow to this size?  I also
crash after about 24 hours due to commit logs growth taking up all the drive space.  A manual
nodetool flush keeps it under control though.

>                Column Family: HintsColumnFamily
>                SSTable count: 6
>                Space used (live): 666480352
>                Space used (total): 666480352
>                Number of Keys (estimate): 768
>                Memtable Columns Count: 1043
>                Memtable Data Size: 461773
>                Memtable Switch Count: 3
>                Read Count: 38
>                Read Latency: 131.289 ms.
>                Write Count: 582108
>                Write Latency: 0.019 ms.
>                Pending Tasks: 0
>                Key cache capacity: 7
>                Key cache size: 6
>                Key cache hit rate: 0.8333333333333334
>                Row cache: disabled
>                Compacted row minimum size: 2816160
>                Compacted row maximum size: 386857368
>                Compacted row mean size: 120432714
>
> Is there a way for me to manually remove this dead node?

the token's to drive the whole process.

> I'm guessing here, don't have time to check all the code. But there is a 3 day timeout
in the gossip system. Not sure if it applies in this case.

> Anyone know ?
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 22/08/2011, at 6:23 AM, Bryce Godfrey wrote:
>
>> Both .2 and .3 list the same from the mbean that Unreachable is empty collection,
and Live node lists all 3 nodes still:
>> 192.168.20.2
>> 192.168.20.3
>> 192.168.20.1
>>
>> The removetoken was done a few days ago, and I believe the remove was done from .2
>>
>> Here is what ring outlook looks like, not sure why I get that token on the empty
first line either:
>> Address         DC          Rack        Status State   Load            Owns    Token
>>                                                                              85070591730234615865843651857942052864
>> 192.168.20.2    datacenter1 rack1       Up     Normal  79.53 GB       50.00%  0
>> 192.168.20.3    datacenter1 rack1       Up     Normal  42.63 GB       50.00%  85070591730234615865843651857942052864
>>
>> Yes, both nodes show the same thing when doing a describe cluster, that .1 is unreachable.

do the LiveNode and UnrechableNodes attributes say ?

>> Also how long ago did you remove the token and on which machine? Do both 20.2 and
20.3 think 20.1 is still around ?

>> Cheers
>>

>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>
>> On 20/08/2011, at 9:48 AM, Bryce Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> I'm on 0.8.4
>>>
>>> I have removed a dead node from the cluster using nodetool removetoken command,
and moved one of the remaining nodes to rebalance the tokens.  Everything looks fine when
I run nodetool ring now, as it only lists the remaining 2 nodes and they both look fine, owning
50% of the tokens.

>>> However, I can still see it being considered as part of the cluster from the
Cassandra-cli (192.168.20.1 being the removed node) and I'm worried that the cluster is still
queuing up hints for the node, or any other issues it may cause: