cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: column metadata and sstable
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 02:06:45 GMT
AFAIK it just makes it easier for client API's to understand what data type to use. e.g. it
can give your code a long rather than a str / byte array .

Personally I'm on the fence about using it. It has some advantages to the client, but given
the server does not really need the information it feels a little like additional coupling
that's not needed .

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6 Aug 2011, at 11:58, Yi Yang wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm wondering what's the advantage of assigning column metadata when NOT using secondary
indices.

> I've gone through the SSTable internal and found out it won't do such conversion.
Thus I think the only advantage we got via column metadata is a data validation type, am I
correct?