cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: migrating from 0.6 to 0.8, "java.io.IOError: ... cannot extend file to required size"
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:24:17 GMT
I remember seeing this once before upgrading a system from 0.6 to 0.7 on a Ubuntu EC2 (non
data stax build) with EBS disks. I did the same thing and just assumed it was an EBS or 0.6
bug. From memory after the upgrade that node had some serialisation issues with a few SSTables
that I had to eventually take off the node. 

I would recommend running nodetool scrub *before* the upgrade to ensure the files can be read.


Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 10 Aug 2011, at 13:09, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> What OS was this?
> 
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM, ian douglas <ian@armorgames.com> wrote:
>> Thanks to 'driftx' in IRC, adding this line to my cassandra.yaml file seems
>> to have fixed the problem:
>> 
>> disk_access_mode: standard
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On 08/09/2011 04:06 PM, ian douglas wrote:
>> 
>> updated stack trace after fixing the corrupted GameSave2 tables:
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>  INFO 16:05:20,314 Logging initialized
>>  INFO 16:05:20,330 Heap size: 6290407424/6291456000
>>  INFO 16:05:20,336 JNA not found. Native methods will be disabled.
>>  INFO 16:05:20,344 Loading settings from
>> file:/data/apache-cassandra-0.8.1/conf/cassandra.yaml
>>  INFO 16:05:20,474 DiskAccessMode 'auto' determined to be mmap,
>> indexAccessMode is mmap
>>  INFO 16:05:20,627 Global memtable threshold is enabled at 2000MB
>>  INFO 16:05:20,628 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:20,633 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:20,634 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:20,635 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:20,636 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:20,637 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:20,737 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/system/Schema-g-13
>>  INFO 16:05:20,766 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/system/Migrations-g-13
>>  INFO 16:05:20,770 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/system/LocationInfo-g-2
>>  INFO 16:05:20,772 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/system/LocationInfo-g-1
>>  INFO 16:05:20,821 Loading schema version
>> 8fbed060-c2ae-11e0-0000-242d50cf1fff
>>  INFO 16:05:21,028 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,030 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,032 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,033 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,035 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,039 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,040 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,044 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,045 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,047 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,047 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,048 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,049 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,049 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,050 Removing compacted SSTable files (see
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable)
>>  INFO 16:05:21,054 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/Feeds2-1777
>>  INFO 16:05:21,774 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/Status-764
>>  INFO 16:05:21,800 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/Comments-763
>>  INFO 16:05:21,816 Opening
>> /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/UserGameshareData-8483
>>  INFO 16:05:31,645 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/GameSave2-7309
>>  INFO 16:05:33,235 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/GameSave2-7391
>>  INFO 16:05:33,240 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/GameSave2-7390
>>  INFO 16:05:33,306 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/UserData-9055
>>  INFO 16:05:38,058 Opening /data/cassandra8/data/armorgames/Feeds2-1777
>> ERROR 16:05:38,071 Exception encountered during startup.
>> java.io.IOError: java.io.IOException: Channel not open for writing - cannot
>> extend file to required size
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.MmappedSegmentedFile$Builder.createSegments(MmappedSegmentedFile.java:170)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.MmappedSegmentedFile$Builder.complete(MmappedSegmentedFile.java:147)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableReader.load(SSTableReader.java:340)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableReader.open(SSTableReader.java:194)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.<init>(ColumnFamilyStore.java:280)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.createColumnFamilyStore(ColumnFamilyStore.java:455)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.createColumnFamilyStore(ColumnFamilyStore.java:436)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.initCf(Table.java:369)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.<init>(Table.java:306)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.open(Table.java:111)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:161)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:315)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:80)
>> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Channel not open for writing - cannot extend
>> file to required size
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:768)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.MmappedSegmentedFile$Builder.createSegments(MmappedSegmentedFile.java:162)
>>     ... 12 more
>> Exception encountered during startup.
>> java.io.IOError: java.io.IOException: Channel not open for writing - cannot
>> extend file to required size
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.MmappedSegmentedFile$Builder.createSegments(MmappedSegmentedFile.java:170)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.MmappedSegmentedFile$Builder.complete(MmappedSegmentedFile.java:147)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableReader.load(SSTableReader.java:340)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableReader.open(SSTableReader.java:194)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.<init>(ColumnFamilyStore.java:280)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.createColumnFamilyStore(ColumnFamilyStore.java:455)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.createColumnFamilyStore(ColumnFamilyStore.java:436)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.initCf(Table.java:369)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.<init>(Table.java:306)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.open(Table.java:111)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:161)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:315)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:80)
>> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Channel not open for writing - cannot extend
>> file to required size
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:768)
>>     at
>> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.MmappedSegmentedFile$Builder.createSegments(MmappedSegmentedFile.java:162)
>>     ... 12 more
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Jonathan Ellis
> Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
> co-founder of DataStax, the source for professional Cassandra support
> http://www.datastax.com


Mime
View raw message