cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Terje Marthinussen <tmarthinus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hw requirements
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:03:36 GMT
SSD's definitely makes live simpler as you will get a lot less trouble with impact from  things
like compactions.

Just beware that Cassandra expands data a lot due to storage overhead (for small columns),
replication and needed space for compactions and repairs.

It is well worth doing some real life testing here before you order a lot of HW !

With our tuning and load, Java vm cannot really use more than 12GB for heap before GC falls
apart, so probably 24GB would be a nice memory size per server.

And yes, many small is better than a few large in most cases.

Terje