cassandra-user mailing list archives

From myreasoner <myreaso...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Read latency is over 1 minute on a column family with 400,000 rows
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 19:34:41 GMT
All compaction related settings in the yaml were untouched.  The fingerprint
column family has been populated three days ago and the cpu/disk usage were
pretty low.  I'd think Cassandra will silently start the compaction thread
on my behalf and try to preserve the min/max thresholds, rather than waiting
for a major compaction order from nodetool explicitly.

Anyway, I did a major compaction on all 5 nodes almost at the same time.  4
of them came back after a few hours, but one of the 5 nodes still has a lot
of pending ones:

cassandra/bin/nodetool -h localhost compactionstats
pending tasks: 76

And the uptime is very light.
 14:31:44 up 30 days, 22:11,  4 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.58, 0.58

Some reply suggested this is a broken compaction.  I will wait for a few
hours and restart that node if nothing changes.