cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rafael Almeida <>
Subject Re: "Internal error processing get" during bootstrap
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 00:40:20 GMT
I'm going to tell you guys the answers I could find so far.

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011, Rafael Almeida <> wrote:
> I couldn't find much documentation regarding how to make a cluster, but it 
> seemed simple enough. At cassandra server A ( I had seeds: 
> "locahost". At server B ( I configured seeds: 
> "" and auto_bootstrap: true. Then I created a keyspace and a 
> few column families in it.
> I imediately began to add items and to get all these "Internal error 
> processing get". I found it quite odd, I thought it had to do with the load 
> I was putting in, seeing that a few small tests had worked before. I spent quite 
> some time debugging, when I finally decided to write this e-mail. I wanted to 
> double check stuff, so I ran nodetool to see if everything was right. To my 
> surprise, there was only one of the node available. It took a little while for 
> the other one to show up as Joining and then as Normal.
> After I waited that period, I was able to insert items to the cluster with no 
> error at all. Is that expected behaviour? What is the recommended way to setup a 
> cluster? Should it be done manually. Setting up the machines, creating all 
> keyspaces and colum families then checking nodetool and waiting for it to get 
> stable?

The problem that I was having was mainly because I had set node A as seed of B
and B as seed of A. I don't know what possessed me! Regarding the schema
configuration. I made a schema file and I load it using:

    cassandra-cli -h localhost --batch < schema-file

It works alright.
> On a side note, sometimes I get "Default TException" (that seems to 
> happen when the machine is in a heavier load than usual), commonly retrying the 
> read or insert right after works fine.  Is that what's supposed to happen? 
> Perhaps I should raise some timeout somewhere?

I still don't get why that error was so frequent. At first I was testing it on 
workstations, where people would compile stuff and run all sorts of software. I think
that slowed down things considerable and the system was having a hard time 
managing connections from the application. After I moved it to dedicated computers
those problems ceased to happen.

> This is what ./bin/nodetool -h localhost ring reports me:
> Address         DC          Rack        Status State   Load           
> Token                                       

> 119105113551249187083945476614048008053     
>     datacenter1 rack1       Up     Normal  3.43 GB        
> 61078635599166706937511052402724559481      
>    datacenter1 rack1       Up     Normal  1.77 GB        
> 119105113551249187083945476614048008053
> It's still adding stuff. I have no idea why B owns so many more keys than A.

It happened due to my weird double-seed configuration. Now everything is fine. I've
explained how tokens work on a different thread.


View raw message