cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mohit Anchlia <mohitanch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cache layer in front of cassandra... any help / suggestions?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:55:19 GMT
Is row cache not enough for this?

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:04 AM, Suman Ghosh <sumanthewhiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We’re presently trying to use Cassandra as a storage/retrieval system for live data
& composite counters (on the data).

> As we work on telecom data records (voice call/sms/GPRS xDRs), the data volume is simply
HUGE, and we definitely need a “controlled” caching mechanism in front of the Cassandra
layer.

> By the term  “controlled cache layer”, what I am trying to suggest is something like
maybe maintaining a list of most high-usage (and therefore, high occurrence) phone numbers
somewhere, and the cache layer will hold all live data and counters for those numbers in memory.
Therefore, all read/write operations which relate to that particular set of numbers will be
very fast, since there will be no physical disk usage. For all other records in the data feed
(which are not so frequent in occurrence) - the cache will pass through read/write operations
to the Cassandra store directly.