cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: After column deletion cassandra won't insert more data to a specific key
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:48:32 GMT
It's just not possible to control time, as many super villains and Peter Schuller have shown
us http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg15636.html

Often it's not necessary, you can design around simultaneous updates the same key, use a coordination
layer such as zoo keeper or rely on consensus.

If you have a design problem provide some details and someone may be able to help.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 26 Jul 2011, at 04:25, Guillermo Winkler wrote:

> Hi, thanks both for the answers.
>
> The problem was indeed with the timestamps.
>
> What was happening also was that in a mutation involving 1 deletion and various insertions
for the same key, all were using the same timestamp, so beside looking at the code doing this

> remove key
> insert key, col, val
> insert key, col, val
> insert key, col, val
>
> With quorum 1, the insertions were always missing.
>
> I've been reading past threads regarding time sync inside/outside cassandra, I guess
this ain't changing in the near future?

> Best,
> Guille
>

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
> Remember the cli uses microsecond precision . so if your app is not using the same precision
weird this will result in clients writing the biggest timsetamp winning the final value.