cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Anyone using Facebook's flashcache?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:19:20 GMT
> Do any Cass developers have any thoughts on this and whether or not it would
> be helpful considering Cass' architecture and operation?

A well-functioning L2 cache should definitely be very useful with
Cassandra for read-intensive workloads where the request distribution
is such that additional caching will be beneficial. However, it will
depend in any particular case on how the L2 cache works, and what your
request distribution is like.

I have been wanting to try flashcache but haven't yet, so I cannot speak to it.

In particular though, keep in mind that if you've got say 1 tb of data
and your memory is enough to keep the hot set, and you're disk I/O is
coming form the long tail, increasing the amount of cache to 200 gig
may not necessarily give you a huge improvement in terms of
percentages.

--
/ Peter Schuller