cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Question about eventually consistent
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:20:58 GMT
> Let’s say that I have 2 datacenters, a key is changed on both of my
> datacenters in the exact same time (even in 1-2 seconds diff).
>
> Datacenter #1 remove a column and Datacenter #2 add 2 new columns.
> Is there any problem with consistency or Cassandra will handle this
> situation easily.

Columns are resolved based on the timestamp provided by the client
when making the insert or deletion. The exact timing of a request, or
whether or not nodes are in different data centers, does not affect
this behavior.

What your application needs to take into account is that unless you do
some kind of co-ordination outside of Cassandra, there will be the
potential for multiple clients reading and writing without awareness
of each other. Whatever the behavior is, your data model must be such
that this is acceptable.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode on twitter)