cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: memory_locking_policy parameter in cassandra.yaml for disabling swap - has this variable been renamed?
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 07:04:29 GMT
> It clearly isn't. There is definitely work involved for the CPU also when
> doing mmap. It is just that you move it from context switching and small I/O
> buffer copying to memory management.

*All* memory access a process does is subject to the rules of the
memory management unit of the CPU, so that cost is not specific to
mmap():ed files (once a given page is in core that is).

(But again, I'm not arguing the point in Cassandra's case; just generally.)

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode on twitter)