cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Suman Ghosh <sugh...@connectivasystems.com>
Subject Cache layer in front of cassandra... any help / suggestions?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 05:55:21 GMT
Hi,

We're presently trying to use Cassandra as a storage/retrieval system for live data &
composite counters (on the data).

As we work on telecom data records (voice call/sms/GPRS xDRs), the data volume is simply HUGE,
and we definitely need a "controlled" caching mechanism in front of the Cassandra layer.

By the term  "controlled cache layer", what I am trying to suggest is something like maybe
maintaining a list of most high-usage (and therefore, high occurrence) phone numbers somewhere,
and the cache layer will hold all live data and counters for those numbers in memory. Therefore,
all read/write operations which relate to that particular set of numbers will be very fast,
since there will be no physical disk usage. For all other records in the data feed (which
are not so frequent in occurrence) - the cache will pass through read/write operations to
the Cassandra store directly.

The basic caching mechanism provided by Cassandra seems to be inadequate for this strategy
:(

Any ideas or suggestions how we might proceed for this?

Thanks & Regards,
SG.
Suman Ghosh
Kolkata, India.

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
use,review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail
message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete
the message and any attachments.