cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Could I run node repair when disable gossip and thrift?
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:26:12 GMT
if you disable gossip the node will appear down to others. This would stop the repair starting.
After repair has started it *may* still cause problems when new streams start (it probably
does not). If the node is down other nodes will stop sending writes to it.

disable thrift will stop clients sending writes to the node.

If you disable thrift you are doing the opposite of repair. You are asking a node to repair
it's data so it's in sync with other nodes, at the  same time you are preventing it from accepting
writes and staying in sync with other nodes. So you are creating more repair work for the
node.

Will will be increasing the amount of Read Repair, Hinted Handoff and Repair work the node
must do.  IMHO it's not a good idea.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 1 Aug 2011, at 06:09, Yan Chunlu wrote:

> I am running 3 nodes and RF=3, cassandra v0.7.4
> seems when disablegossip and disablethrift could keep node in pretty low load. sometimes
when the node repair doing "rebuilding sstable", I would disable gossip and thrift to lower
the load. not sure if I could disable them in the whole procedure. thanks!