cassandra-user mailing list archives

From AJ>
Subject Anyone using Facebook's flashcache?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:02:16 GMT
With big data requirements pressuring me to pack up to a terabyte on one
node, I suspect that even 32 GB of RAM just will not be large enough for
Cass' various memory caches to be effective.  32/1000 is a tiny working
set to data store ratio... even assuming non-random reads.  So, I'm
investigating whether or not a 256 GB SSD used as a cache between the
data HDD and the Cass server process.  It won't decrease cache misses,
but at least the access time would be orders of magnitude faster than
from the hdd.  Also, write performance is improved because of lazy flushing.

Do any Cass developers have any thoughts on this and whether or not it
would be helpful considering Cass' architecture and operation?

View raw message