cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Maxim Potekhin <potek...@bnl.gov>
Subject Performance deterioration while building secondary index
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 22:55:57 GMT
I have roughly 150 million rows in my database, which will grow as I
continue testing. I'm building an index on a particular column, via
cassandra-cli, something of the sort:
update column family jobs with column_metadata = [{column_name : 'DATE',
       validation_class : AsciiType, index_type : 0, index_name : 'date'}]

At this point, the cluster just becomes unresponsive -- just doing
"list" on a CF takes a while. Random query test I used to run rather
quickly, becomes terribly slow (hasn't returned since I started typing
this).

Is that normal? I can' imagine this happening in a production situation,
when I decided to add an index for some valid reasons. Really scratching
my head now. TIA.

The version is 0.8.1

Thanks!