cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Appending to fields
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 01:57:47 GMT
Sounds like Ed is right and you should be doing the append as
add-a-new-column instead of overwrite-existing-column.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Marcus Bointon
<marcus@synchromedia.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31 May 2011, at 23:03, Dan Kuebrich wrote:
>
>> I think perhaps OP meant O(N * M), where N is number of rows and M is total bytes.
>
> That's probably more accurate.
>
> This is what it was doing: Say I repeatedly append 100 bytes to the same 1000 records.
First time around that's 100,000 bytes to transfer. Second time around it has to read the
first 100k, then write it back, plus the next 100k, making 300k. Next time it's read 200k,
write 200k+100k, making 500k. After 100 iterations you're transferring 20Mb for a 100k update.
MySQL really does do this; It's very painful. In my real case a 50 byte update to 500k records
went from taking a few seconds to several hours, with no prospect of ever improving.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra