cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <>
Subject Re: 99.999% uptime - Operations Best Practices?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:22:29 GMT
so having multiple data centers is step 1 of 4/5 9's.

I've worked on some services that had 3-4 9's SLA. Getting there is
really tough as others have stated. you have to auditing built into
your service, capacity metrics, capacity planning, some kind of
real-time monitoring, staff to respond to alerts, plan for handling
system failures, training to handle outage and a dozen other things.

your best choice is to hire someone that has built a system that
supports 4-5 9's and patiently work to get there.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Les Hazlewood <> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Peter Lin <> wrote:
>> you have to use multiple data centers to really deliver 4 or 5 9's of
>> service
> We do, hence my question, as well as my choice of Cassandra :)
> Best,
> Les

View raw message