cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Storing Accounting Data
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:29:08 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Oleg Anastastasyev <oleganas@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Is C* suitable for storing customer account (financial) data, as well as
> > billing, payroll, etc?  This is a new company so migration is not an
> > issue... starting from scratch.
>
> If you need only store them - then yes, but if you require transactions
> spanning
> multiple rows or column families, which i believe will be main
> functionality
> here - then definitely no, because cassandra has no ACID, no transactions
> spanning multiple rows and no ability to rollback.

Well be careful, a financial transaction does not really have much to do
with a database transaction. For example, if I write a check that turn out
to be phoney three days later, it is not as if a database connection was
open for three days waiting for someone to type commit or rollback! So while
ACID, transactions, and rollbacks could be useful in this type of
applications, in a real world scenario most still need a complex application
layer.