cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way from a running Cassandra node to determine whether or not itself is "up"?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 08:58:02 GMT
None via thrift that I can recall, but the StorageService MBean exposes getLiveNodes() this
is what nodetool uses to see which nodes are live.

From the code...
    /**
     * Retrieve the list of live nodes in the cluster, where "liveness" is
     * determined by the failure detector of the node being queried.
     *
     * @return set of IP addresses, as Strings
     */
    public List<String> getLiveNodes();

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 9 Jun 2011, at 17:56, Suan Aik Yeo wrote:

> Is there a way (preferably an exposed method accessible through Thrift), from a running
Cassandra node to determine whether or not itself is "up"? (Per Cassandra standards, I'm assuming
based on the gossip protocol). Another way to think of what I'm looking for is basically running
"nodetool ring" just on myself, but I'm only interested in knowing whether I'm "Up" or "Down"?

> I'm currently using the "describe_cluster" method, but earlier today when the commitlogs
for a node filled up and it appeared down to the other nodes, describe_cluster() still worked
fine, thus failing the check.