cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jeremiah Jordan" <JEREMIAH.JOR...@morningstar.com>
Subject RE: Docs: Token Selection
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:49:10 GMT
Run two Cassandra clusters...

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric tamme [mailto:etamme@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 11:31 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Docs: Token Selection

> What I don't like about NTS is I would have to have more replicas than
> I need.  {DC1=2, DC2=2}, RF=4 would be the minimum.  If I felt that 2
> local replicas was insufficient, I'd have to move up to RF=6 which
> seems like a waste... I'm predicting data in the TB range so I'm
> trying to keep replicas to a minimum.
>
> My goal is to have 2-3 replicas in a local data center and 1 replica
> in another dc.  I think that would be enough barring a major
> catastrophe.  But, I'm not sure this is possible.  I define "local" as
> in the same data center as the client doing the insert/update.

Yes, not being able to configure the replication factor differently for each data center is
a bit annoying.  Im assuming you basically want DC1 to have a replication factor of {DC1:2,
DC2:1} and DC2 to have {DC1:1,DC2:2}.

I would very much like that feature as well, but I dont know the feasibility of it.

-Eric