Yes that was what I was trying to say.

thanks
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton

On 5 May 2011, at 18:52, Tyler Hobbs wrote:

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com> wrote:
> It's no longer recommended to run nodetool compact regularly as it can mean
> that some tombstones do not get to be purged for a very long time.

I think this is a mis-typing; it used to be that major compactions
were necessary to remove tombstones, but this is no longer the case in
0.7 so that the need for major compactions is significantly lessened
or even eliminated. However, running major compactions won't cause
tombstones *not* to be removed; it's just not required *in order* for
them to be removed.

I think he was suggesting that any tombstones *left* in the large sstable generated by the major compaction won't be removed for a long time because that sstable itself will not participate in any minor compactions for a long time.  (In general, rows in that sstable will not be merged for a long time.)

--
Tyler Hobbs
Software Engineer, DataStax