cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: caching change between 0.7.0 and 0.7.5
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 23:41:50 GMT
Row cache is still disabled by default.

AFAIK in general you should not move the position on any buffer in cassandra or take ownership
of them.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6 May 2011, at 07:34, Paul Loy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> so I just updated Cassandra from 0.7.0 to 0.7.5. I embed Cassandra in my app and use
StorageProxy for querying.

> In one of my unit tests I write a column to Cassandra and then read it out again twice
in quick succession. The second time I now get the same ByteBuffer (i.e. same id - same 'physical'
HeapByteBuffer) as the first call. But as I have consumed this, the position == capacity.

> I have fixed this in my code by simply using ByteBuffer#duplicate, however I'm concerned
that caching may have changed between versions and want to know what the implications of that
change may be.

> So my questions are:
>
> 1) is the Row Cache now enabled by default?
> 2) or is there now some other form of caching that is causing this to happen that I should
be aware of?

> We're pretty close to deploying into production when we came across a critical bug in
0.7.0 (infinite loop in HashMap) which means we have to upgrade but I'm concerned that the
changes mean our load/stress tests will not be valid so just need some info to put my mind
at ease!