cassandra-user mailing list archives

From André-Philippe Paquet <andre-phili...@wajam.com>
Subject Datacenter migration
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 12:54:17 GMT
Hi,

We have a cluster of ~20 nodes all located in 1 datacenter running Cassandra 0.7.2. We are
planning to move from this datacenter to another with as minimal downtime as possible.

The first strategy that came into my mind is to use the topology placement strategy, create
nodes in the new datacenter and let cassandra moves the data into the new datacenter as we
commission new nodes. The problem is that we are currently using the RackUnawareStrategy placement
strategy and I'm wondering if it's possible to switch to the NetworkTopologyStrategy without
having to remake all the data. If so, how can I do it?

As for the snitch, nodes are configured with RackInferringSnitch. I guess we can let it there
if we make sure nodes have properly configured IPs and they'll snitch using the closest node?

If switching the placement strategy is impossible, what is the best way to move the data from
one datacenter to the other?

Thank you!

Regards,

André-Philippe Paquet