cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: compaction strategy
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 12:54:09 GMT
On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Terje Marthinussen
<tmarthinussen@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Would it make sense to make full compactions occur a bit more aggressive.

I'd rather reduce the performance impact of being behind, than do more
full compactions: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2498

> 2. I
> would think the code should be smart enough to either trigger a full
> compaction and scrap the current queue, or at least merge some of those
> pending tasks into larger ones

Not crazy but a queue-rewriter would be nontrivial. For now I'm okay
with saying "add capacity until compaction can mostly keep up." (Most
people's problem is making compaction LESS aggressive, hence
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2156.)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra