cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Datacenter migration
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 13:20:47 GMT
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Replication

2011/5/10 André-Philippe Paquet <andre-philippe@wajam.com>:
> Hi,
>
> We have a cluster of ~20 nodes all located in 1 datacenter running Cassandra 0.7.2. We
are planning to move from this datacenter to another with as minimal downtime as possible.

> The first strategy that came into my mind is to use the topology placement strategy,
create nodes in the new datacenter and let cassandra moves the data into the new datacenter
as we commission new nodes. The problem is that we are currently using the RackUnawareStrategy
placement strategy and I'm wondering if it's possible to switch to the NetworkTopologyStrategy
without having to remake all the data. If so, how can I do it?

> As for the snitch, nodes are configured with RackInferringSnitch. I guess we can let
it there if we make sure nodes have properly configured IPs and they'll snitch using the closest
node?

> If switching the placement strategy is impossible, what is the best way to move the data
from one datacenter to the other?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra