cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Vivek Mishra <vivek.mis...@impetus.co.in>
Subject DatabaseMetadata
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 12:12:43 GMT
Any thoughts on building something like separate DatabaseMetadata api for CQL?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lin [mailto:woolfel@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 5:28 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra Vs. Oracle Coherence

That's completely wrong.

TimesTen and Coherence are 2 separate products sold by Oracle.
Coherence is a data grid that takes a key/value approach. It is massively scalable across
LAN and WAN.

In terms of comparing Cassandra and Coherence, I wouldn't. Coherence is a data grid and most
often used as a fault tolerant distributed cache, though it does a lot more than that. Oracle
bought Tangosol a few years back.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Jeffrey Kesselman <jeffpk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe coherence is their name for the TimesTen technology they bought.
>
> TT is an in memory SQL database that can  run as a cache for Oracle.
>
> Its totally different from Cassandra.   On the one hand it supports
> trad SQL whereas Cassandra does not.  On the other hand Cassandra is
> truly distributed and fault tolerant, whereas TT is not.
>
> I suggest getting and reading the Oriely Cassandra book.
>
> JK
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Karamel, Raghu
> <Raghu_Karamel@intuit.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am new to Cassandra and very excited with the technology. I am
>> evaluating it and trying to understand the difference between
>> Cassandra and Oracle Coherence. Precisely , looking for reasons why
>> would some select Cassandra over Oracle Coherence. Does anyone did the exercise of
comparing them?
>> Appreciate if you can share some information on that.
>>

>> Regrads
>>
>> -RK
>

> --
> It's always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.

Write to us for a Free Gold Pass to the Cloud Computing Expo, NYC to attend a live session
by Head of Impetus Labs on ‘Secrets of Building a Cloud Vendor Agnostic PetaByte Scale Real-time
Secure Web Application on the Cloud ‘.

Looking to leverage the Cloud for your Big Data Strategy ? Attend Impetus webinar on May 27
by registering at http://www.impetus.com/webinar?eventid=42 .

or interference.