cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Vs. Oracle Coherence
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 01:25:28 GMT
I've not used Coherence, all I know if from reading the first paragraph here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/coherence/overview/index.html
and wikipedia:)

Cassandra is not a caching layer, it's a database. You can rely on it as your database, and
some people find when they do they no longer need a caching layer.

If you can provide some more details on your use case we can help you judge if cassandra is
a good fit. Or if you can tell us which features of Coherence you think are a good fit for
you we can see if there are Cassandra equivalents.

And is should also say:

- cassandra is free
- if you have a good idea about how it can be improved, there is a chance it may get implemented.
And if you can provide some dev time an even better chance.
- you can get  free support from the community
- there are multiple professional services companies that provide support http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ThirdPartySupport

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 18 May 2011, at 10:44, Karamel, Raghu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Cassandra and very excited with the technology. I am evaluating it and trying
to understand the difference between Cassandra and Oracle Coherence. Precisely , looking for
reasons why would some select Cassandra over Oracle Coherence. Does anyone did the exercise
of comparing them? Appreciate if you can share some information on that.