cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Adding a new node
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 04:02:24 GMT
It is possible to change IP address of a node, background http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/change-node-IP-address-td6197607.html

If you have already bought a new node back with a different IP and the nodes in the cluster
have different views of the ring (nodetool ring) you should see
http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.7/troubleshooting/index#view-of-ring-differs-between-some-nodes

What version are you on and what does nodetool ring say?

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 9 May 2011, at 12:24, Venkat Rama wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to bring up a new node (with different IP) to replace a dead node on cassandra
0.7.5.   Rather than bootstrap, I am copying the SSTable files to the new node(backed up files)
as my data runs into several GB.  Although the node successfully joins the ring, some of the
ring nodes still seem to point to the old dead node as seen from ring command.  Is there a
way to notify all nodes about the new node?  Am looking for options that can bring the cluster
back to it original state in a faster and reliable manner since I do have all the SSTable
files.
> One option I looked at was to remove all system table and restart the entire cluster.
 But I loose the schemas with this approach.