cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Arsene Lee <arsene....@ruckuswireless.com>
Subject RE: Using snapshot for backup and restore
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 13:57:43 GMT
If snapshot doesn't include secondary indexes then we can't use it for our backup and restore
procedure.
.
This mean, we need to stop our service when we want to do backups and this would cause longer
system down time.

If there is no particular reason, it is probably a good idea to also include secondary indexes
when taking the snapshot.

Arsene

From: aaron morton [aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:28 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using snapshot for backup and restore

Looking at the code for the snapshot it looks like it does not include secondary indexes.
And I cannot see a way to manually trigger an index rebuild (via CFS.buildSecondaryIndexes())

Looking at this it's probably handy to snapshot them https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2470

I'm not sure if there is a reason for excluding them. Is this causing a problem right now
?

Aaron

On 3 May 2011, at 20:22, Arsene Lee wrote:<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2470>

Hi,

We are trying to use snapshot for backup and restore. We found out that snapshot doesn’t
take secondary indexes.
We are wondering why is that? And is there any way we can rebuild the secondary index?

Regards,

Arsene