cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Colby <jonathan.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: nodetool cleanup - results in more disk use?
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 14:45:07 GMT
I discovered that a Garbage collection cleans up the unused old SSTables.   But I still wonder
whether cleanup really does a full compaction.  This would be undesirable if so.

On Apr 1, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Jonathan Colby wrote:

> I ran node cleanup on a node in my cluster and discovered the disk usage went from 3.3
GB to 5.4 GB.  Why is this?

> I thought cleanup just removed hinted handoff information.   I read that *during* cleanup
extra disk space will be used similar to a compaction.  But I was expecting the disk usage
to go back down when it finished.

> I hope cleanup doesn't trigger a major compaction.  I'd rather not run major compactions
because it means future minor compactions will take longer and use more CPU and disk.