cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tyler Hobbs <>
Subject Re: CQL DELETE statement
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 00:49:00 GMT
You are correct, but this is also a limitation with the Thrift API -- it's
not CQL specific.  It turns out that deleting a slice of columns is
difficult.  There's an old JIRA ticket somewhere that describes the issues.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Courtney Robinson <> wrote:

>   Looking at the CQL spec, it doesn’t seem to be possible to delete a
> range of columns for a given key without specifying the individual columns
> to be removed, for e.g.
> DELETE col1 .. col20 from CF WHERE KEY=<key|(key1,key2)>
> Am I correct in thinking so or have I missed that somewhere?

Tyler Hobbs
Software Engineer, DataStax <>
Maintainer of the pycassa <> Cassandra
Python client library