cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Subscriber <>
Subject Cassandra node throws NPE on startup
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:22:05 GMT

I'm using Cassandra 0.7.4 on a three node cluster. The cluster was setup yesterday as a fresh
installation (no upgrade).
The cluster is installed beside a hadoop cluster (I want to discover how cassandra works together
with hadoop's map/reduce feature).

After loading some test data into the cassandra cluster (some text-files for a first wordcount
m/r example ;-) I killed all nodes and restarted the cluster.
Two nodes are starting fine but the third node doesn't start and throws a NullPointerException:

 INFO 12:44:42,557 Finished reading /home/.../cassandra/work/commitlog/CommitLog-1303828029742.log
ERROR 12:44:42,558 Exception encountered during startup.
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.createReplicationStrategy(
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.<init>(
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(
	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(
Exception encountered during startup.

This looks pretty much the same as issue
which is in resolution "cannot reproduce".

What can I do to make the node starting again?

Thanks in advance and best regards
View raw message