cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: changing replication strategy and effects on replica nodes
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:45:26 GMT
See the section on Replication here http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Replication
It talks about how to change the RF and then says you can do the same when change the placement
strategy.

It can be done, but is a little messy.

Depending on your setup it may also be possible to copy / move the nodes manually by moving
sstable files.

I've not done it myself, are you able to run a test ?

Hope that helps.
Aaron

On 1 Apr 2011, at 02:04, Jonathan Colby wrote:

> From my understanding of replica copies,  cassandra picks which nodes to replicate the
data based on replication strategy, and those same "replica partner" nodes are always used
according to token ring distribution.

> If you change the replication strategy,  does cassandra pick new nodes to replicate to?
  (for example if you went from simple strategy to a networkTopology strategy where copies
are to be sent to another datacenter)

> If so,  do you now have unused replica data on the "old" replica nodes that you need
to clean up manually?