cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Kazuo YAGI <ky...@zynga.co.jp>
Subject Re: Error messages after rolling updating cassandra from 0.7.0 to 0.7.2
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:14:20 GMT
>> Solution: upgrade to 0.7.4, run scrub
Although I upgraded all my cassandra nodes from 0.7.0 to 0.7.4 and
ran nodetool scrub to all keyspaces, this EOFException error messages
didn't go away. Do you have any ideas how to deal with it next?

Besides, it would be really useful if I could know whether or not
these error messages are ignorable, because our application has been
working well before and after upgrading.

Thanks,
Kazuo

(11/03/28 11:19), Kazuo YAGI wrote:
> I really thank you for your information.
> I'll try to upgrade 0.7.4 and run scrub.
>
> (11/03/25 22:39), Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>> from NEWS.txt:
>>
>> Upgrading
>> ---------
>> - 0.7.1 and 0.7.2 shipped with a bug that caused incorrect row-level
>> bloom filters to be generated when compacting sstables generated
>> with earlier versions. This would manifest in IOExceptions during
>> column name-based queries. 0.7.3 provides "nodetool scrub" to
>> rebuild sstables with correct bloom filters, with no data lost.
>> (If your cluster was never on 0.7.0 or earlier, you don't have to
>> worry about this.) Note that nodetool scrub will snapshot your
>> data files before rebuilding, just in case.
>>
>> Solution: upgrade to 0.7.4, run scrub
>>
>> 2011/3/25 Kazuo YAGI<kyagi@zynga.co.jp>:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm running 10 cassandra nodes in total and updated 5 nodes
>>> from 0.7.0 to 0.7.2 one by one like below.
>>>
>>> # sudo /etc/init.d/cassandra stop
>>> # sudo yum update cassandra-0.7.2-4
>>> # sudo /etc/init.d/cassandra start
>>>
>>> After updating, those 5 updated nodes keep outputting error messages to
>>> /var/lib/cassandra/log/system.log every exactly 5 minutes.
>>>
>>> Do you have any idea about this error message? Thanks for your support.
>>>
>>> /var/lib/cassandra/log/system.log
>>> ------
>>> ERROR [Thread-45] 2011-03-23 21:21:29,125
>>> AbstractCassandraDaemon.java (line 114) Fatal exception in thread
>>> Thread[Thread-45,5,main]
>>> java.io.IOError: java.io.EOFException
>>> at
>>> org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.run(IncomingTcpConnection.java:73)
>>>
>>> Caused by: java.io.EOFException
>>> at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:375)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.run(IncomingTcpConnection.java:61)
>>>
>>> ERROR [Thread-51] 2011-03-23 21:26:29,227
>>> AbstractCassandraDaemon.java (line 114) Fatal exception in thread
>>> Thread[Thread-51,5,main]