cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra node throws NPE on startup
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:28:04 GMT
What approach did you take to restarting the cluster?

It looks like the keyspace name was changed and the log replay tried to write to the old one.

Aaron

On 28/04/2011, at 12:03 AM, Subscriber <subscriber@zfabrik.de> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> some more remarks.
> I renamed the commitlog directory on the third node so that cassandra cannot see it on
startup.
> Now the node starts fine. The problem seems to have something to do with the commitlogs...
>
> Best Regards
> Udo
>

> Am 27.04.2011 um 13:22 schrieb Subscriber:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Cassandra 0.7.4 on a three node cluster. The cluster was setup yesterday
as a fresh installation (no upgrade).
>> The cluster is installed beside a hadoop cluster (I want to discover how cassandra
works together with hadoop's map/reduce feature).

>> After loading some test data into the cassandra cluster (some text-files for a first
wordcount m/r example ;-) I killed all nodes and restarted the cluster.
>> Two nodes are starting fine but the third node doesn't start and throws a NullPointerException:
>>
>>  INFO 12:44:42,557 Finished reading /home/.../cassandra/work/commitlog/CommitLog-1303828029742.log
>> ERROR 12:44:42,558 Exception encountered during startup.
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.createReplicationStrategy(Table.java:275)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.<init>(Table.java:221)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.open(Table.java:110)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(CommitLog.java:273)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(CommitLog.java:156)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:173)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:314)
>> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:79)
>> Exception encountered during startup.
>>
>> This looks pretty much the same as issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1889
which is in resolution "cannot reproduce".