cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Gregory Szorc" <gregory.sz...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Apt repositories
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:25:29 GMT
If you don't want your APT-sourced packages to upgrade automatically, I suggest pinning the
package.

The apt_preferences(5) man page tells you how to do this.

The gist is to add the following lines:

  Package: cassandra
  Pin: version 0.6.13
  Pin-Priority: 1100

(setting the version to the one you want to install, obviously) to a preferences file sourced
by apt. On Ubuntu, just place the above 3 lines in the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/cassandra
and you should be set. No matter what happens with the remote APT repository or how you run
`apt-get upgrade`, your system will always use the version you specified in the preferences
file.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: David Strauss [mailto:david@davidstrauss.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:49 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Apt repositories

I just noticed that, following the Cassandra 0.8 beta release, the Apt repository is encouraging
servers in my clusters to upgrade. Beta releases should probably be on different channels
(or named differently) than stable ones.

Better yet would be naming the packages based on the major release in order to prevent an
inadvertent upgrade, even once the next release stabilizes. For example, having cassandra-0.7
and cassandra-0.8 would be great, with installation of the latter replacing any cassandra-0.7
package. This is common with PHP and MySQL packages where it's not entirely safe to inadvertently
do a major upgrade.

Thanks,
David