cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paul Pak <>
Subject Re: Upgrade to a different version?
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:13:16 GMT
Hi Jake,

I'm sending this privately, because I wanted to tell you my opinion frankly.

I don't know about the .6 series or .74, but so far, all of the .7
series of cassandra has been a disaster.  I would think twice about
switching to anything in .7 series to production until things stabilize
and at least one reasonably large site starts using cassandra .7. 
Jonathan claims reddit is using cassandra, but it can't be a good
experience with the type of bugs that have been found.

.70 had data corruption issues
.71 also had data corruption issues, had major issues with anything over
2 gigs in memory
.72 issues with reading properly
.73 had major issues with anything over 2 gigs in memory, had issues
with performance due to flushing rules being broken, many people had
huge issues with large amounts of insertions, and a few had startup issues.
.74 too new to say.

In either case, do a lot of testing for your use case before switching
as things in the .7 series are still way in development.  I've talked to
Jonathan about putting it into beta status because of the severity of
the bugs, but so far, there has been no decision to do so.  Good luck.


On 3/16/2011 1:21 PM, Jake Maizel wrote:
> We are running 0.6.6 and are considering upgrading to either 0.6.8 or
> one of the 0.7.x releases.  What is the recommended version and
> procedure?  What are the issues we face?  Are there any specific
> storage gotchas we need to be aware of?  Are there any docs around
> this process for review?
> Thanks,
> jake

View raw message