cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Approaches for Developer Integration
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 06:40:22 GMT

On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> So, I guess this is coming down to:
>  1) Has anyone built any easy to install packages of Cassandra?

I didn't find it necessary.  I implemented a simple embedding wrapper for Cassandra so that
it could be started as part of a web application lifecycle (Spring-managed).  Developers just
start up a personal copy of the service as part of "mvn -Pembedded-cassandra jetty:run" being
none the wiser about the Cassandra underneath unless they care to be.

>  2) Can anyone explain their experience with getting non-Cassandra
> developers up and running in a development environment? What worked?
> What was hard?

I've had technically savvy non-developer resources perfectly happy to work with the system
via Ruby, PHP, or even the Cassandra CLI.  "Just do mvn -Pembedded-cassandra jetty:run" was
too much in that case, but "Here are some useful libraries and here's where the prod/staging
clusters are" was fine.

-- Paul B