cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Dave Revell <>
Subject Re: Patterns for writing enterprise applications on cassandra
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:31:19 GMT

There don't seem to be any common best practices to do this. I think the
reason is that by adding transaction semantics on top of Cassandra you're
throwing away the most important properties of Cassandra. The effects of a
transaction/locking layer:

- A centralized performance bottleneck that won't scale linearly
- Complex failure detection and recovery
- Reduced availability/partition tolerance (CAP: C prevents simultaneous A
and P)
- High latency for geographically remote clients
- Lower throughput due to enforced serial ordering of transactions

There are probably other reasons that didn't occur to me. Cassandra's great
at doing what it does, but it's certainly not a general purpose
transactional database for all use cases.