cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <>
Subject Re: Best Approaches for Developer Integration
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:10:29 GMT
On 8 February 2011 06:40, Paul Brown <> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>> So, I guess this is coming down to:
>>  1) Has anyone built any easy to install packages of Cassandra?
> I didn't find it necessary.  I implemented a simple embedding wrapper for Cassandra
so that it could be started as part of a web application lifecycle (Spring-managed).  Developers
just start up a personal copy of the service as part of "mvn -Pembedded-cassandra jetty:run"
being none the wiser about the Cassandra underneath unless they care to be.

Mojo's Cassandra Maven Plugin makes this even easier

mvn cassandra:start jetty:run

If you don't want to modify your pom.xml to switch either jetty or
cassandra off of port 8080 then you'll end up with

mvn cassandra:start jetty:run -Dcassandra.jmxPort=_____

Note: the plugin has not been released yet... 48hr left on the release vote

>>  2) Can anyone explain their experience with getting non-Cassandra
>> developers up and running in a development environment? What worked?
>> What was hard?
> I've had technically savvy non-developer resources perfectly happy to work with the system
via Ruby, PHP, or even the Cassandra CLI.  "Just do mvn -Pembedded-cassandra jetty:run" was
too much in that case, but "Here are some useful libraries and here's where the prod/staging
clusters are" was fine.
> -- Paul B

View raw message