cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Kallin Nagelberg <kallin.nagelb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: unique key generation
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 03:38:22 GMT
Pretty sure it also uses mac address, so chances are very slim. I'll check
out time uuid too, thanks.

On 7 Feb 2011 17:11, "Victor Kabdebon" <victor.kabdebon@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Kallin.
If you use timeUUID the chance to generate two time the same uuid is the
following :
considering that both client generate the uuid at the *same millisecond*,
the chance of generating the same uuid is :

1/1.84467441 × 1019Which is equal to the probability for winning a national
lottery for 1e11 days in a row ( for 270 million years).
Well if you do have a collision you should play the lottery :).

Best regards,
Victor Kabdebon
http://www.voxnucleus.fr